Parklife Soccer Club

Monday, July 10, 2006

Grand Final result

Us: 3
Them: 8
Scorers for Parklife: Josh 2, Ben 1

The lads won the semi final on Friday night, putting us into the 5th Grand final in 16 seasons. Unfortunately it didn't look like we were going to be able to field a team due to injuries and work and other committments. Some fast talking with the officials, a letter written by the captain, and an agreement with the other team saw Tim and injured Mike available to play. Neither of us were qualified as we had not played the request 5 matches. However the other team in a spirit of sportsmanship generously allowed us to play so they could have a worthy team to play. Ben was able to get there from work, and Josh decided to play even though injured also.
We took the field, and unfortunately went down 1 nil immediately with a keeping error, followed in short succession by another handball outside the box by the keeper resulting in a penalty, duly slotted.
Tim took the field and went straight to goal and kept the rest bar one goal out for the remainder of the first half. The goal scored was partly my fault, and partly bad luck. I went outside the box to intercept and save a hard strike at goal - the bruise is still on my calf. However the ball rebounded to half way and before I could get back into the goal was belted home. To make matters worse I was accidentally impeded in my return by one of our players.
The second half of the first half was won on the field by Parklife, racking up several ineffective strikes on goal and better field work and passing.
Ben hit an awesome strike to get our first goal.
We went to half time 4-1 down but believing we could overcome the deficit.
Second half started well with lots of strikes on goal, and although we let another one in due to a 2 on 1 attack on our goal we kept our heads up. Then Josh struck, and struck again and it was 5-3. We were back in it and with 2 minutes to play went all out on attack. This left our defence strung out and they countered with another 2 on 1 attack splitting Ben the defender and Tim in goal and hitting another home.
Tim then let another one in in a similar situation to the first he conceded by saving a goal and leaving the goal open for a counter volley. Finally with 30 seconds to go Tim dribbled out of the goal circle, got forced wide - taken to the net and forced to attempt a long pass to one of our players hanging free near the opposition goal. The pass was cut off and rolled into the goal with 1 second on the clock.

Parklife will now hang up the boots as a club.
To all the Parklifers - thanks for some wonderful times - stories we can tell our kids - and five Grand Final defeats!